11.04.04: One Step After Another

With weather so warm it becomes irresistible to work with the horses. With the thermometer in the truck brushing 80 on the way home, and breeches and a tshirt all that was needed to be comfortable, I headed out to the pasture to spend some time with Tali. She was reluctant to be caught, as usual, and tried to duck away from me at the hay feeder, but I had just managed to get the rope around her neck as she tried to step away. I laid everything out on the picnic table to get ready, and brought her up to stand in the sun as I groomed her and tacked up. I had discovered through the day just how much Storm's little spook had gotten me, my right arm and shoulder were fairly sore, and when I finally got on board I discovered just how much my legs and butt were sore from the ride too!
I started her on the ground with the balance bands, and allowed her to work on the lunge line for a while. She took off in a bit of a panic at first, but settled down, and it took a while for her to find the length of the line, but eventually she settled out on the line and began to work. She was really trying, and in some ways it looked like she was actually coming off the front bands pretty regularly. I was reluctant to shorten them any more, as it still seemed like she was working even though the bands were releasing from time to time. We spent a long time working in each direction and she didn't seem to be making huge changes but at the same time she was working, so I left her alone.
Nothing entertaining happened, which I guess is a good thing, and I finally decided to climb up for a short ride. I had to reorganize myself and adapt to her balance issues and was pleased to be able to move straighter sooner than we had during our lesson. I was able to keep her steadier on a bigger circle rather than spending many small laps collapsing to the inside of the circle. I discovered that she seems to fall to the right in either direction, but it is probably due to my imbalances. I like the fact that she makes my own uneven habits glaringly obvious so I can concentrate on correcting them.
We changed direction after a while, and worked for a bit, and then things got a bit worse. I think that since I spent so much time on the ground she was fairly tired by the time I climbed aboard. I tried to hold her together long enough to get a bit of positive steps again before we called it quits.
We grazed for a while on the hillside after untacking before I finally put her away for the evening. It wasn't the most in depth interesting session, but chipping away at her old habits and building new ones takes a lot of boring work.
Next Page:
11.04.11: One Transition to Another