Truth is Heavy

I've gotten several work sessions in with Storm, which has been really nice. The weather hasn't been too cold, and he's been mostly cooperative. I tied a piece of twine on his halter to make it work until I can get a bridle again.
I discovered immediately that he was VERY heavy on his left side. I finally had to switch directions to the right because my arm was killing me from pulling him out constantly. He was falling in the circle very badly going to the left. I was relieved that when we switched to the right he was not near as heavy, and I was able to make adjustments with my arm rather than having to take in on the rein or hold his weight. We worked to the right for a little while to let that settle in, and then switched back to the left again. I was more relieved to find that he wasn't as heavy in that direction as he had been at first. It seems the change of direction helped him to find his balance a little better. He was doing a lot of moving his neck around, and was carrying his head fairly low (for him), which was a good sign. He was pretty well dumped on the forehand, though, because he tripped a lot. I am hopeful that will change again when I get him back into a bit. It won't be good to leave him on the forehand for very long.
The next session I had with him we started to the right, thinking that the right was the lighter side. Wrong! It seems that in the beginning whichever side we begin with is the heavy side. We changed to the left, found more lightness, and then switched back to the right, finding a consistent feel again. This pattern seems to be a pattern that is happening since he is in the halter. It is very revealing about where his balance really is now that he's not cheating and compensating with his neck. It is a setback, but it will produce a healthier result in the long run.
The last session I had with him was pretty good. He is coming out of the barn yard more easily, with less hesitation than he used to, now, which is progress. We got to work, with only a little distraction from him in the beginning. He spooked a few times, but while he was working it was never beyond the jumping in place sort of thing. As we finished up, and I led him back into the barn yard, he spooked several times. I was rather irritated at him because there didn't seem to be anything worth spooking over. I was relieved that he calmed down quickly, and returned to his usual state. The hardest part is that it is difficult to trust him after he has spooked. I let him know that, and finally turned him out for the day.
Its progress, though not what I expected. Hopefully we can get back on track soon.
Next Page: 14.11.06: For Comparison Sake